Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 1 December 2011

House Introduction/ Did you have mommy issues....

Since leaving my parents wonderful nest, I have learned many things by living with 6 other girls and I have taken my knowledge my parents enstilled in me, and am loving all my experiences.

Unfortunately, some of the girls I live with were not brought up knowing how to provide for themselves. I consider these kids 'spoiled'. To have everything hnded to you and have a super easy live when you are younger leave no time to figure out who you are, and how to make mistakes, and grow from them. On the contrary to being 'lucky' to have a free ride through University, many kids over-look this thus making them more 'unlucky'. These poor people are going to crash and burn when they are no longer under the chequebook of mommy and/or daddy.

One of my friends I live with is one of these 'unlucky', 'spoiled' individuals making it difficult to live with. Acting as both 'the father' (I am sort of handy having learned from the greatest-my father) and also 'the mother' (as i am an obsessive cleaner and caretaker as my mother) to girls I never dreamed of having to teach life skills to.

I should explain my living situations and it would make it 10000x easier to understand:

Amelia- comes from a dairy farm family, 'loves love', has everything possibly imaginable, has a birthmark covering her beautiful face making her super self conscious, very VERY sensitive
Krystina- suuuper loud and funny and understanding and bitchy and everything all at once, only child and lived solely with her mother all her life, in the nursing program which is the perfect career choice
Jillian- most amazing, oblivious person I have ever met, roomed with her since second semester of first year university, we love tea together, has a glycogen storage disease (she cant eat sugar), wealthy family (everything paid for) but her personality is far from being rich, holds everything inside until it gets too much and then explodes (like me lol)
Nicole- my small town girl, in Med Lab program with me, most considerate person I know, mother moved to NWT and father is a farm-hand basically, pays her way getting a tonne of OSAP, gets ahead of herself a lot, drives me crazy sometimes with her crazy loudness singing/talking/stories
Krista- basically lives at her boyfriends, her and Ca have been roomates since 1st year (in 3rd now), super independant, parents pay for everything, I dont even know very much about her :s

I have many 'projects' going on silently with/for/about the girls. For example, I have been trying to get Nicole. to calm down a bit and help her to stay on a regular eating schedule since she is always 'so busy' Recently, I have introduced the 'C.C. Project' in which I had to bring on some help from 2 other girls- both for my sanity and for help for success in this long haul of a project. We are attempting to condition Amelia to other methods of doing stuff. She is very sensitive so I thought this was necessary before we discuss 'her faults' (lack of better word) in person, which of course would be ideal, but she shuts down and wont listen. In my plan, I attempt to help her realize there are other, even more productive, ways to do things. Perhaps, the 'conditioning' isnt for her, but rather myself, to try and develop ways to talk to her and tell her things without her geting offended and angry with me for no reason. I want her to have an open-mind, and I guess I need to make mine more patient and the goal for the end- an overall better relationship.

I sort of resent individules that cannot raise children into adults, for that is what parenting is all about. You shape the tiny people into members of the future society. I feel bad for the children who are not taught how to manage for themselves in basic cooking, cleaning, social interactions, hygeine, etc.

I understand I might sound harsh/biased, and I guess I am. My house was not always stable, and I was given enough freedom, responsibility and love in order to learn for myself. I have 2 loving parents, 2 loving siblings (most of the time :p), 2 loving sets of grandparents and endless other people in my live who I am greatful for making me who I am today. I sound really bad when I say everyone should be like that, but to a degree you must fit into society.

I can only hope, now, that I can try and help little Amelia along with the skills I have developed/been enstilled with- it is so much harder being a peer and not a parent- and I know it is not my job, but I have to do something, or this crazy child is going to drive me away from the rest of my house.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment