Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Saturday, 17 December 2011

The Infamous...

I know why people call it 'Tdot': because they are in such a rush, they forget the rest of the word. Sorta like me, a forgotten soul lost in the rush of the subway and train system. I think I left a part of me there, but I dont want it back. This is my journey to get my V8 my parents were to bring me.
V8 is such a city thing- people drink it because they are trapped in a concrete maze with no greenery around to grow real vegetables. That is now my way of life since I moved out of my parents’ house and right into university life.
I learned a term from this kid's really loud music on the train: A 'concrete jungle' as Rihanna calls it. She's got it right, the people are vicious, like the animals of a jungle, and building towering over top of you like giant trees and you must expect anything to happen to you at every single moment. Its surreal.
Okay, so I didn't actually hold a conversation with any of these Torontonians to know if they are as vicious as I am portraying them to be, but I really don't know how a conversation would work out. I speak English, the language of my country. Ideally, I would love to make some company on this trip, but the language barrier and the social embarrassment of a white girl starting a conversation with a Brown/Black/Asian/Latino person is too great for me to try to at least try. All I can do is speak through the universal language of a smile and hope I make it through peacefully. I hope, eventually, our government makes it mandatory for a word of English (other than the memorization of the creed and O Canada) to be spoken to become a citizen for the sake of native Canadians and those who have been here for generations upon generations. I'm all for sharing my wonderful country with those whose home lands are not as fortunate, but it is so much easier if we can share friendly word, and not just an over-crowded car then to depart on the same stop, never to see each other again.
I don't know if it is just because I don't live in the city, or I have never ventured to one alone before, but the people I am sharing this train with are not as welcoming as I. I get the feeling that some of them are taking advantage of many wonderful things Canada has to offer- like me. 'Taking advantage of' might actually be a poor term of phrase, as it often is termed as a sexual connotation. But I sit here, and I am a minority. A minority in my own country. I actually feel foreign and unwanted. I just want to go home. Home to the country I thought I knew of integration and peace and understanding.
I would definitely say I have been culturally exposed by university a lot, but nothing compares to being alone on the subway. This time I lack a 'partner in crime' to distract me from this fear, or to joke about it. I'm sure I will laugh about it after, but, right now, I would say Toronto sucks. I'm sorry, Canada, it really isn't part of you. It doesn't portray the Canada I grew up in and I'm now nostalgically disappointed. That's all.

Side note:
I love my BlackBerry, and I can probably type faster on it that I can on a computer (nooo I'm not 'one of those' who frantically types on their phone, I just really suck at typing fast on a computer). Anyways, point being, I wrote a lot a lot on my trip to Toronto, but unfortunately I have had some 'run-ins' with 'racism' lately, and I fear people who do not know me might think I am being cold-hearted and racist. Im not. If I make fun of EVERYONE of EVERY RACE, EVERY GENDER, EVERY HAIR COLOUR does that make me discriminatory?? Apparently sometimes I sound racist, and I refuse to watch what I say around my friends, but here, publically, it is a very different sorry.

Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment