Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 26 January 2012

Duct Tape Extrordinare

I have this roll of duct tape on my desk and I am trying to remember why it's still there. I used it for my beer-pong tournament costume, to mend the bottom of my shoe and to wrap around the handle of my backpack to distinguish my backpack from all the rest of the black school backpacks.
Duct tape is like this: you make something out of nothing. It fixes all. It holds all materialistic things. You can make clothes and wallets for the homeless. Perhaps, if we all had a trait in us called duct, the world would be a better place. We could hold each other together, and mentally and physically pick each other up from a very deep slump we might have fallen into.
I took this particular roll of duct tape from my dad one time when he was dropping me off at school in his truck. I texted him, after he left, that I took his duct tape and it was my very first roll of duct tape I ever owned. I am proud of the duct tape. In the past, duct tape has helped my father with so much: holding on to what was lost, mending breaks, putting a roof over our head and walls up around us.
Now that I own my own roll, I feel so liberated and free. I can start using my duct tape to start building my life. Unfortunately, my house that is falling apart cannot be fixed with this duct tape, but I’m going to see how the trait of ‘duct’ is going to work for the next 3 months.


Duct good and sure of it,


adot

No comments:

Post a Comment