Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Friday, 20 January 2012

Nostalgia

Of course, my body decided to betray me, yet again, and it woke me at 730am. My morning routine usually consists of waking up, and making as little noise as possible until i hear other people up, who inevitably beat me to the washroom, as I was waiting to hear them getting up to go shower. (Weird now that Im actually trying to explain in minimal words).

I woke to having an email from my boss. Some time between 2am when I went to bed, and 730am when I woke up, she remembered to ask me if I was interested in a position again in the summer. Yup, 438am to be exact. I dont kid you when I say she doesnt sleep, I think she lives in the greenhouse at work, and she only eats an apple a day. Thats all, folks, an apple. She also offers to share her apple. And, no, she does not grow the apples in the greenhouse.

I work in Horticulture for my summer break for the City that my little town resides near- and also my mother and father both work for. We plant flowers, dig out beds, cut grass, the whole shebang.

Thats not what I do.

There is another part of the city that Horticulture is responsible for. It seems strange to group trees and toilets, but I clean toilets. With the help of another brave female, we tackle the horrific messes of downtown public washrooms, then fill the rest of our day picking litter...not to mention our much-needed drawn out lunch breaks, and daily reorganization of our storage closets. We feel like we need this time, though. In order to see what we see in a day, you have to be in the right mind-set with adequate food in your system.

Im excited to go back to this. My coworkers are all very interesting characters, and I always have fun with them.

Im excited to see 'Safety Sasquatch' who is the mother of all driving nazis, taking his time, each morning, to crawl on the ground under the work truck to make sure everything is working properly (not that he would know if it wasnt).

Im excited to see neener-neener, and hear all her stories of the boys she likes at that exact second, but in 12 different variations of the same story.

Im excited to see Leonidis. I like pellet guns and shooting stuff and I think it is hilarious when he asks me a million times, 'did you actually shoot cans last night?' or 'omg did you actually bring a dart to my campfire?'

I am very sad to say that most super cool, crazy cooworker, whom I will name Pedro, will not be my P.I.C. in cleaning toilets this year. She has retired from being a student and has decided to get a big-girl job. I am proud, but it will be harder to clean toilets without the 'song for every moment' moments and the so sad stories of how her bf, Leonidis, didnt say happy birthday to her.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment