Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Saturday, 10 March 2012

The Story of How I Lost the Washing Machine

Another Saturday, everyone is home with stuff to do. Housework has been piling up the past week, and laundry has been put off until all the socks and underwears can no longer be turned inside-out.

Okay, maybe I'm the only one with housework to do- I'm the only one to notice the little army of crumbs trying to take over this place. I also have a tonne of laundry to do today, including my bed sheets and various other items in the house. Unlike Krystina, who on Tuesday put laundry on at 5:20am, I waited until the others were awake before turning on our old, loud washing machine.

Patients and courtesy kicked me in the butt, again.

As an early riser, I like to jump out of bed and get a head start on everything. I hold back on my showers, though, until after 8:30-9am in case my Spider-man shampoo bottle slips out of my hurrying hands, and causes a slight earth tremor and wakes the other 5 devils. Devils is a little harsh, but I feel like they would accept me calling them that, maybe.

As I was just chilling in my room, counting my nice clean toes (nice referring to clean... toes and feet creep me out), I hear a little knock on my door.

Krystina: Hey, do you have any darks? I'm putting a load of laundry on.

Staring at my closet door, trying with my eyes, to keep the clothes from bursting out while she stands next to it.


Me: I have some, but I will just throw them on later. I have enough for a load, thanks.

I've never been one of those snipers. If I was in the military, I would be a bomber- one with huge intentions, and more calculations to control the landing. I would kill more people at one time than a sniper, but the sniper can just get you out of no where.

My military analogy continues as an army of young women, with no clean socks and underwears, must do their washing today- each one claiming they have more than the others. I wonder if I will be able to throw in the place mats, dish towels, hand towels, bath mats and all the rest of the household items no one else wants to put in with their laundry because "it will get their clothes dirty".

I have a suggestion, if you don't want your clothes to get dirty when you are about to wash them, they are not dirty enough to begin with. Save time, save money, and re-wear your clothes! Then, when they are sufficiently dirty, you won't have a problem putting other soiled items in with your load of wash.

I have an adequate amount of socks and underwears for the next little while. I just thought it would be fantastic if, as I was cleaning the house, the little machine in the upstairs washroom closet would be cleaning my clothes. I liked the idea of being helped out, even if it was from a robot from possibly 12 thousand years ago who leaks on the floor every once in a while.

I guess I can be positive about the fact that I don't have to physically wipe their butts. And they now know how to do their own laundry (for the most part).


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment