Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Tuesday, 6 March 2012

It's That Mountain

This post is going along with a theme from The Lightning and the Lightning Bug in which they are challenging people to role play. This is me role playing as my Grandad. My grandparents came to visit me today, right after my other set of grandparents came on Sunday. I could see the differences in how he gets around now, and it made me very sad. I'm very proud of him, though, as he made it up my stairs (something I have been waiting for since the beginning of the year). I cant help but wonder what it would be like if he could come visit me all the time, so that is why I chose to be him in this post. The ending is really just what I wish he would say sometimes, just to know he is still there, and the Parkinson's Disease hasn't taken over his entire body.

Without further adieu, the post:


I grew up a very long time ago, back when we treated a lady right. I married the woman of my dreams and we had 2 wonderfully unique children. We lived up in the Northwest Territories where I taught for 2.5 years, then we moved back to Ottawa where I taught math to special needs students. My 2 children grew up to give us 4 grandchildren whom we, of course, spoil. When they were younger, I would love to take them in the pool, and when they stayed the night at our place for a sleepover, I would make them feel so special that they wouldn’t want to leave the next day. I miss chasing them in the basement, passed all the canning jars and collections of jams and pickled beets. We had to move to a smaller house, but really, I was just excited to be closer to them.

I used to go to their elementary school to pick them up for the day, but get side tracked talking to everyone. Everyone knew me there- students, teachers and principals. They used to ask the children about me, and when the kids would tell me someone asked about me, I would make an excuse to go and talk to them myself. The school would let me go and talk to the grandkids on their recess and bring my new games that I made and share with all their friends.

A few years ago, my daughter moved in with us for a few months while they were trying to find a new house. We found the perfect house. It has an in-law suite, and a huge driveway and property for my grandchildren, now teenagers, to play on. I absolutely love living with them, and I get so much out of it.

Since the Parkinson’s has gotten worse, I have had to rely on them for a lot more. They kindly come and lift me off my floor when I fall because I don’t have the energy to get up on my own. I lost my license and I have to rely on others to drive me to my appointments and exercise class. I’m even more of a mess in the kitchen, but I still bring my wife of 51 years breakfast in bed every morning.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me in the past, and who continues to help me. I understand that my pills to control the Parkinson’s Disease have side effects which make me different from the man you could do so much with. I hope you still will always love me, and remember me as the man who used to let you jump on his belly and take you strawberry picking. I don’t want to spoil our awesome memories with me going downhill. I want to work very hard for you guys to show that I am fighting for this too.

Don’t forget, Grandad loves you.


Love you, Grandad

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment