Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Unnamed

MOV over at mothersofbrothers recently posted about her many identities at Starbucks. Clever. She uses real names like Hannah Marie and stuff to change her identity each time. I wouldn’t understand why, she seems like a nice person, so you would want to give your nice-person face your nice-person name…I would think? Except if you aren’t tipping well… then you want to lose that identity.

I have many names that other people insist on calling me. I cant escape them. I cant change them after I leave because when I come back, the name is back too...

Coleslaw was given to me in high school, and I am still called this by high school friends. It may (or may not be) a clever play on my last name and my lunch of choice of coleslaw at the time. When I hear that name being called from somewhere, I know it is someone from high school.

My ‘hockey name’ is AC. I don’t know why, but my coaches have always needed something quick and easy to yell at me when I don’t listen to them. When they start calling me that, so does the players and the next thing I know, people coming down the aisle in the Wal-mart calling ‘AC! AC!’

My middle name starts with a ‘G’ and when my friends from University couldn’t figure it out, they decided it was going to be Gertrude. They call me Gertrude, or Trudes for short, everywhere. At first I was totally embarrassed of my new name and I felt so bad for anyone with Gertrude as their real name. I’m over it. I’m Trudes.

Before I was Trudes, I was Lyss. That is my ditzy name given to me by my ditzy friends, Krystina and Amelia. Thanks, guys, but I’m glad for your short attention span on that one.

I have actually started using that as a code name too. I have a YouTube channel called AlyGertrude (with one movie), and my twitter is @alygertrude and my google account is alygertrude. It’s fun to have weird names to make a weird identity.

Nicole’s boyfriend, Hulk, calls me Marjory. Weird name? Yep. Apparently my rocking chair in my room and my ‘old lady-ish’ behaviour landed me this old-lady name. I feel bad for when Perogies, Krista’s boyfriend, comes over and he has no clue who they are talking about...ever.

I'm glad all my middle names are derived from my real name. I have no way of escaping this identity of mine, not with any name. I'm glad. I like who I am, and MOV, I like are. Although, I do not know if you are a leaf fan or not, so I don't really know.

I respect how it would be fun to escape normal hectic life for a moment when you announce a pretend name to a stranger at Starbuck, but I would feel guilty. My parents gave me a lovely name. A name that can be played with by so many different people and many different ways.

I have another nick name that just started last week. It is Molly. Like as in Molly Maid. I don’t like it, and it makes me not want to clean up after my roommates. 

I would make a bad secret agent. I would laugh if I said a different name. I bet MOV is a better actor than Kristen Stewart


I guess I am  hypocrite, I do have an altered public perception sometimes. My name isn't actually adot.



Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment