Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Friday, 23 March 2012

My Pride

I have only one month left of school until I go back cleaning the public washrooms along the beach and living with my parents for 4 months. I have gone 7 months without purchasing any plastic water bottles (though I have woken up some mornings and found that I have been given one by my ever-so-kind roommates after a long night of fun).

Last summer, cleaning toilets in the sweltering sun, I drank a lot of water. I found that I would bring 2 plastic water bottles, and then toss them in the recycling after. Carrying 2 water bottles made my bag heavy, and it was hard to fill up in case I ran out. I made a small investment of about $15 and bought myself a CAMELBAK water bottle. Best decision I ever made. It actually makes drinking water fun, and I found myself using my newly-cleaned washrooms more!

I took my CAMELBAK to school with me in the fall, and as my parents took me out for that first big grocery shop of the year, I declined their insistence on purchasing plastic water bottles. They didn’t think that I could take my reusable water bottle to class with me, or the gym.

I'm proud to say, I still have not bought any plastic water bottles. Actually, on our last trip to America, I talked my sister into buying herself one. We had to make so many more pit stops, but it was so worth it on how much money my mother will be saving on her drink-half-a-bottle-and-poor-the-rest-down-the-drain technique for the plastic water bottles.

My parents still spend lots of money on buying plastic water bottles and it bugs me. I know they don’t have any reusable water bottles in the house right now, but when the cost to safe in your pocketbook and save the planet is only $15, why not get one?


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment