Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Monday, 19 March 2012

Tribute to Mother and Father


I don’t know what I would do without your lessons,
I don’t know what I would do without your love.
Your guidance has lead me further than you know,
All because I missed it.

I’m learning to do things on my own,
I’m thankful for my life experiences.
I feel like you taught me more than my counterparts,
For that, I give you my gratitude.

I keep my room dusted and vacuumed,
My clothes stay folded in their drawers.
No one is here to remind me,
I know to do it on my own.

I have my own place now,
A house I can call my own home.
I have finally found value in everything you told me,
All because I missed it.


I am so grateful for both my parents and everything they have (and haven't) done for me. I see them in what I do and how I live now that I am living on my own. I miss everything they helped me with- changing light bulbs, teaching me about cars and electrical wiring in houses and I wish I could continue to learn more from you. My high-school-educated parents are the wisest, smartest people I have ever known. They have never attempted to teach me about Chemistry or Math, that's what our tax dollars were for. They taught me everything I know that I would never have learned in school. I am so thankful I never have to rely on a guy (or anyone) to change my oil in my car, or to fix a leaky faucet. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for my independence- I appreciate the hard work I complained about when I was younger. I value every minute of it now. I will continue to learn as I am living on my own, and I will do my best to raise your grandchildren like you raised me. I love you.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment