Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Sunday, 11 March 2012

Turning Away From Religion

Cautious, serious post ahead...
I thank you for giving your life to our country.


I am very grateful that many years ago, when I was 4 years old, my mother checked the little box on her taxes that supported the Catholic School System. When I was about 9, my mother helped convert an old retired church in my home town into a makeshift church for Wednesday evening services. It relied on the priest from the city close by to come and run the service for local families who are proud to be a part of Timbits hockey games every Sunday morning in the arena down the street. The services went on until I was about 11, when the little church fell through. My mother, and many other parish members, got into an argument with the priest, and many of them fell out of religion.

Being 11 when this happened, I didn’t really have the grounds to continue practising this religion on my own, but in school, we continued to focus on religion. I grew up really not knowing anything different from praying before the school day with the principal over the announcements, and Jonny Appleseed and other lunch time prayers before our meals. I absolutely loved it though. I loved how everyone would be quiet for those few moments, reflecting on who we were as little Christians and how we got to where we were today.

As I grew older, I fell more and more in love with O Canada, which followed the morning prayers. I felt more connected to it, and I began to loath the prayers, as I thought them to be out-dated and repetitious. I thought about how many men and women died for me to be standing in school with my friends around me and food in front of each of us. How did religion get me here?

I looked deeper into the religion I was brought up into, and I found flaws. I grew a love for science and all things nature and proven facts. I became the girl with the uncapped knowledge of all things strange and useless. Everything was useful to me. It proved something- something more than me knowing stuff.

I made plans to join the military so that other kids, like me, could have people always fighting for them, and reminding them that people in the military love them. They are willing to die for me, a child whom they don’t know, and that was what I believed in. I was going to be that. No religion tells you to fight and defend for your country, they say fight for your people. In Canada, there are people from many religions- I didn’t want to leave them behind.

I respect my catholic upbringing, and I feel like it made me more respectful towards other religions. When I stopped associating myself with any religion, I still stood in silence, respecting those who still enjoyed and needed that time to reflect on who they are as Christians. I am still a great person (if I do say so myself) without a religion to be tied to. Religion is not who I am, I am me. I believe in myself, and that is hard enough sometimes. I know I am real, but I can`t speak for the realness of other some of the people on this earth. That being said, I also cant possibly speak for the ones who are no longer with us.

Through religion, I learned who I was. Some people turn to religion to find out who they are, but I did the opposite. I`m quite happy where I am in my life, and I`m glad I understand.

Unfortunately, I have not yet joined the Canadian Forces. I have intentions to, still, but it has not found a way into my twisted little life yet. I know many people in the Military, including my best friend, Sean. Sean is just like me, non-religious, and we grew up in the same elementary school and high school since grade 2. He is the smartest, best guy I have ever met, and I'm so proud to have him fighting for my me and the rest of my country. 

I hope you think of a soldier today, thank them in your mind. You would not be here today if not for their bravery, strength and love for you. I truly believe that. 


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment