Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Who is lurking out your window?


Do you have window coverings on all of your windows? If you don’t, I judge you. I judge you on how empty the room looks for the small angle I can see in my quick glance in your direction. I know who you are by the colour of the rooms in your house, and most of all, I can see all the cracks and chipping paint on the window frames and shutters that are being lighted up in a sea of darkness.

Tell me you do the same. I’m not a ‘peeping tom’ and I’m definitely not stalking you, but I glance in your windows when I am walking by. What else is there to look at besides the rest of the darkness? I also judge that half-ass job of strewing that bed sheet crookedly up in attempts to gain some privacy. I don’t know if it is a one-time deal, or this is the permanent living situation, but I give you an A+ for effort.

My windows are always covered. As soon as the level of brightness outside gets even close to the brightness inside, that’s when the drapes are pulled shut. I have no idea who is waking outside and looking in my windows.

When I was younger, my mom and I were at my friend’s house talking with her and her mother about the recent release of Karla Homolka. The nice bay window at the front of their house didn’t have any window coverings on it, and people can see right in as others are looking out.

They told us that she can move anywhere she wants and no one would know. She could be hiding in the bushes and looking in the window right now, and we wouldn’t know. Since then, I have been terrified of who is watching me through my window from the darkness.

Plus, every time I look outside in the dark, I think I see that bald guy staring at me from Fringe.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

1 comment:

  1. Uh. Thanks for this.

    Drawing the curtains now, and sleeping with something sharp under my pillow.

    ReplyDelete