Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 5 April 2012

Finding a Job and a Career

I have had many a-job in my almost 20 year lifetime. None of which I am particularly proud of (see Well That Was Awkward), but at all of them, I met awesome people and made my wage.

At first, I didn't want to go into any establishments and hand in my resume let alone ask for a manager or call them back a few days later. My mother would always nag me about getting another job, but all I would do was sit there, dreaming of the alternate me in the alternate universe with the courage to walk in and ask for a job.

As a teenager, I dreamed a lot, and wished for everything to be handed to me. Since I walked through the doors of real life in University, I realized a lot of things that my parents were right about. However, as I am sitting here, I am dreaming of what I want to be doing with my life. I don't want to work towards it, I just want to be handed my degree, and be put into the workforce and make money.

I'm very lucky. All I have to do is a 4-year degree and I can get a job as a MLT (Medical Laboratory Scientist), but other people in health science degrees have to go to grad school to get some sort of career in the Health Care field. One of those people is Amelia, who wants to be a radiation therapist (?), and she wants to get into Michener Institute.

It's really too bad she is here for her friends, and not her future career. She is taking the easiest classes for the easy A, but she is not thinking of the prerequisites she will need for the prestigious Health Institute of Michener.  She is putting all this money out for a joke degree that will get her no where in life.

It is sort of like she is always sitting on the couch dreaming of what the girl in the alternate universe would do, except she is probably just thinking, I have A's and B's in University, I will get in!

You're too old to be spoon fed in University.

I will also say that she does not have a summer job lined up, and there is less than a month until full time work season begins. Why? Because she is too scared to go into the establishments and ask for the boss and call them back a few days later. She wants to sit on the couch, find a job online, and send someone her resume through the hustle and bustle of the internet.

For that reason, I feel like everyone needs that one person to push them. Push them too far, to get angry at them, to be nagging at them to do stuff. If you don't, you will end up on the couch for the rest of your life.

The easiest way to get started with something, is to spring up and get to it. Get it in our mind, and set small goals to get to your bigger goal. We are just small people, and the big giant world doesn't stop and wait for us, it just keeps turning and turning making use more dizzy and confused. But now, this turn is yours. Get out there and accomplish something. You feel like the whole world once the deed is done, I promise.



Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment