Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 12 April 2012

The Locals

Final exam  number one was today. Unfortunately, the order of my exams are: easiest to hardest, and typically the amount of time I spend on each exam decreases from most to least. Needless to say, I will have an A+ in the class, thus boosting my falling GPA. 

Anyways, point of the story: I saw a man with rabbit ears.

I was on the 20 minute bus ride back home from where the exam was held, but I had to stop at No Thrills because I have basically zero food to eat. On my way to the grocery store, the bus passed this man wearing a rabbit ear headband. Like so:
Like so.
The man was a middle aged bald guy carrying 2 reusable grocery bags. When the bus stopped to let people on, he continued to walk, averting his eyes from all the curious people on the bus, including me. My trip continued, I know that this city is a little messed up sometimes so, cool, way to go for this guy to carry on the Easter spirit for an extra week.

I got off at the stop beside the graveyard to walk across to the grocery store, passed the fat little chub chub boy carrying the Hot-n'-Ready pizza sign from Little Caesars. In one door of the grocery store, and out the other. You cant stay in there too long, or you might be converted to the white trash locals. (was that mean?) (This is what we made for dinner with the food I purchased). 

Anyways, on my way back to the bus stop, I saw the bald guy with the ears again! He walked the entire way that I bused to get the the store. Then, as I was waiting to cross the street onto the side he was on so I could ask him why he had the ears, he kept on walking up the street, not glancing my way even the slightest. Again, I got on the bus, and passed him walking up the street with his 2 reusable grocery bags, North, towards the University.

Strange.

When I got home, I announced my return to my roommates (who locked me out of the house for 15 minutes, but that's another story) and I told them of my strange encounter. 

Apparently, according to Jillian's boyfriend, Tawd, who is a local to this nut-house city, this man is well-known around town. Apparently, his daughter died when she was very young and he wears the ears because she was born on Easter Sunday and he wants to remember her. However, other people have said that he wears them because his daughter died on Easter, or she really liked rabbits, or he is an outpatient at the local psychiatric hospital...I really don't know what to believe.

Without spreading any rumours about this guy, the only thing I can say for certain is that this man is pretty strange. What ever his cause is, I still think he is pretty strange. 

Also, apparently, again, according to Tawd, the bald guy wears a witch hat on Halloween and Santa hat on Christmas. 

My theory is:

He suffered a psychotic break and murdered his entire family- each one born on different holidays. He escaped from the psychiatric hospital, having his hair permanently burnt off in the fire that killed his family. Now, he wears the holiday-themed head-wear to symbolize that anyone born on a holiday is cursed and he must murder you, as well. 

I was born on Victoria Day, am I next? I'll be right back, just checking that I locked the door so he doesn't start wearing a fireworks head display. 

So much for not spreading rumours.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment