Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 3 May 2012

Brutal Murder

Yesterday, two people were found dead at a hotel in the City that I work in. I suspect the were found cheating and one of their partners murdered them, but this is besides the point. This kind of thing just doesn't happen around here, so I will call these shenanigans the 'Vegas Event' for lack of better place it would happen.

A lot of things made me jumpy today: Neener (the girl I work with) ran over a pylon, I was walking around in a lightning storm in a field with a metal pole (aka litter picker), and Neener already lost the truck keys twice. Also, since the 'Vegas Event' yesterday, the whole City and surrounding area have begun crazy conversation over it. The killer could still be on the loose (duhduhDUHHH).

As I was picking litter downtown today, I saw in the distance a little highlighter walking briskly (highlighters= our uniforms of bright yellow shirts with reflective safety tape). Neener, all of a sudden, was in my face and looked as if she was about to cry.

"I just witnessed a brutal murder," she said, whilst choking and bawling and dripping snot all over the children playing nearby.

First thought: A homeless drug addict killed a homeless alcoholic.

Second though: Do I call the police?

Third though: Oh damn, all these kids just heard that there was a murder, there is going to be mass chaos downtown on the first real day, and I am going to get fired.

Neener walked away and I followed her jumping at her for answers. We walked- I walked, she sobbed-  until we were about to climb down under a bridge. Hesitating, I followed her. I still don't know where my brain was at as I would probably yell at myself if I were watching this drama play out in a movie.

There it was. The dead thing. It was a duckling.

It was a brutal murder.

I picked up the carcass with my litter picker and placed it into my bucket full of litter. When I turned around, I noticed the crowd of children and their guardians gathering to see the commotion of this "brutal murder". Still, no one knowing that the murder was not of human nature. I covered the teeny animal body with a Timmies cup I found in my bucket, and explained that everything was okay, and we were sorry about the confusion.

Pretty sure, I'm fired for making 32524376289 people think there was another murder.


Darn good and sure of it,


adot

1 comment: