Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Summer: Day One

Talking with one of my coworkers is like the bitter chocolate that my grandmother bakes with. If you  combine it with other ingredients and let it bake for a while, it can get pretty good. However, if you try and choke it down by its self, its dull flavour leaves you running for a drink to swallow the last bit. In my case, the drink is hard liquor.

Although I don't know which 'crew' I am on for the summer yet, I kind of have an idea. Washrooms. The only problem is, I will be working for 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 4 months with a girl named Neener. I can tell you this, Neener is not that exciting of a person. 

Other crews of three change work sites daily, and sometimes join up with other crews to do projects and stuff, but the washroom crew doesn't. They clean toilets, then pick litter along Lakeshore. Because we don't join up with other people, we have to be able to entertain ourselves and get along really well. We don't have other people to communicate with to keep us from getting tired of each other.

Last yer, the girl I worked with, Pedro, was the absolute greatest person end working with her was so much fun. I know people like her dont come around too often- people who sing children's songs to me, scoop human feces out of a toilet with a spade, and play with the toys we find. 

Now, I might have to spend my hours listening to the latest crushes Neener has, or the dumbest jokes, and whatever else she talks about when I'm not listening. 

I just dont like people who talk too much. Talking should have a threshold, especially if you are not exciting to listen to. I am going to implement the 'cue card system' in which we each chose a cue card and discus what is written. That way, I will have some intellectual conversation pointers, and my IQ will not fall 10 points by the end of the summer!


Darn good and sure of it,

adot


No comments:

Post a Comment