Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Wednesday, 23 January 2013

adot Revealed.

Sometimes, I come and sit in my room for a second and think, "Wow, adot, you're so clever".

I don't share a lot of personal information about myself to anyone. Not even my closet friends/family. I am a very private person, and I like it that way. However, I have knowledge and interests in the strangest things which would make anyone wonder WHY.

For example, Jillian is looking into mentoring or counseling volunteer opportunities. I went into detail explaining 3 of the opportunities offered by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada. After answering all her questions like I was google, she never once asked me why I knew about that. "I have wanted to be a Big Sister ever since I could drive my real little sister around after I got my licence and we became really close. I want to carry a relationship like that on to someone who otherwise wouldn't experience that". Then, she wanted a more 'counseling' side than mentoring option. I offered the TLC pregnancy center  in Newmarket. How did I know about that? "I used to make cards to give to the new moms when I was 5, when my grandmother would knit their babies sweaters" Or how about volunteering for the Rape Counseling Hotline? That's a good one, how did you find out about that?

I feel like I give so much information out without anyone noticing.

We watched Love and Other Drugs a while ago. No one liked it except me. Why? "My grandfather had early onset Parkinson's. Now he's old. The Parkinson's is worse. Touching story, that movie was". And last week we watched God Bless America and I absolutely applauded it. I stuck through the popcorn scent of the room to make it to the end, why? "I have a hit list of my own (Don't ask who's on it, I don't want the police thinking I'm planning on acting on it)".

My favorite books are: 3 Cups of Tea which is a book about helping girls in 3rd world countries. Little Princes about helping orphan boys in Nepal. And Say You're One of Them because of the sad, heartfelt stories of helplessness. Why? "I want to help them. I want to do aid work".

My favorite season is winter and I love the cold. Why is the thermostat at 20.5? "The cold makes me uncomfortable which makes me remember all the things I have to comfort me that others aren't as fortunate to have".

I have 8 poppies on my pin board. Am I too lazy to throw them out? "Each poppy has a year written on the back. Ever since the first year I bought a poppy, I keep them so one year I can go to Ottawa for Remembrance Day and lay them on the grave of the unknown. I love my country, and I love the men and women who have died for us, and for making the world a better place".

I wear a tie wrap around my wrist with 3 smaller tie wraps on it as 'charms'. Why so stylin? "I am a sucker for my family, friends, and country, and I will do anything for them, including wearing a tie wrap around my wrist for almost 2 years now".

Why do I 'risk my life' in Demolition Derbies? "I love my dad, and it is awesome father-daughter bonding. I love when he explains things to me that I have no idea what he is talking about. Long story short, I like handing him the wrenches lol".

How can I not have a favourite colour? "I am still amazed at how physics and the world around us works to make light reflect off a surface into a specific colour. I always wonder what a colour looks like from other people's perspectives. Its like my own fringe science".

I am very interested in viruses. Everything about viruses. Why? "They are so small, but they can do so much damage i.e. AIDS, Ebola, bacteriophage. They are so mysterious and there are very few things that can get them down. Few things that can cause their demise. The little things that are still so unknown and since they are so unknown, it takes a dedicated person to sit down and learn about them. For some reason, I relate myself to them".

I only use crayons for highlighting, never highlighters. Why am I still 5? "I just am. That one's got no back story".

Why do I call carrots, crackers? "I don't know".

Just because I do/say/like these things, doesn't mean that I want people to know why. The point of this, I guess, is people have secrets. If you look hard enough or go all Criminal Minds on their asses, you can find out their secrets.

Plus, I want to look back on this and see how lame-meaningful and smart and clever I thought I was. I want to know how good I was at hiding my hopes, dreams, desires, knowledge and experiences from the world that surrounds me.

The answer the question as to why I don't just tell people these things: I would be in an insane asylum right now.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment