Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Anti-Procrastination Technique: The Bachelor

I have 2 things I would like to share that really help me to focus when I have a lot of work to get done. One of them is lighting a candle, and as soon as the candle is lit, I know I have to focus and stop procrastinating. I have been having a really hard time staying focused on a task, but if there is a constant reminder i.e. flickering light and Christmas tree scent, it calms me and my mind down and I can really accomplish a lot.

However, right now, it is light outside, and I don't feel like wasting my candle, so I turned on The Bachelor. It is so easy to make fun of all the people on the show, and I really like doing it, especially with my friends.

There is one girl on this season who is a "cosmetic consultant"... is that Bachelor for "AVON lady"? And there's another one who is a "cruise ship entertainer" which is probably Bachelor for "captain pole dancer".

If there is no one around to hear my jokes though, I no longer find myself funny and I get uninterested.

If it's playing in the background, I hear a constant noise of ditz/valet girl voices which I am  used to tuning out in everyday life. If I find my mind wandering, I listen to how dumb some of the girls are on the show and I think, "Damn. I don't want to be like that when I'm 30, I better focus" or "OH MY GOD she is smiling like a cannibal, I cant watch this" and I get scared into working again. It's fool proof.

If The Bachelor doesn't work out for you, you should try CSI Miami. Between the terrible acting and the overly predictable plot lines, it will make you feel awesome when you know who the killer is before the investigators, and you'll have an hour before they catch up to you, genius. In that hour, you can do a lot of work.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment