Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 31 January 2013

Lab Notes

I have some candies and a foreign child. I lay the child down in front of all the candies because I want to know which ones the child likes. They obviously don't know by just looking at them or touching them or shaking them. They have to eat it to know. After they eat them, you would need a translator to tell you what sugars and other nutritional factors the child likes.

It works that way with bacteria and looking at biochemical tests for GNB (gram negative bacilli) identification. You have to incubate the inoculated tubes so the bacteria can 'eat' (oxidize/ferment) the nutritional additives before you add the reagents to tell you what additives they 'ate'.

BAM! Awesome analogy.

Today we learned about the biochemical tests used to differentiate between GNB. We preformed 17 tests that were demonstrated by our lab instructor before we went crazy and infected ourselves with Salmonella or E.coli or something. We are supposed to inoculate each of the tubes with bacteria, then place the rack of tubes in the incubator. I guess some idiot from the morning class put his inoculated tubes back with the racks of new tubes and I picked it up.

Me: "What the hell, there is already mineral oil on the top of these and some have been stabbed already! Well, that idiot will have nothing to look at tomorrow when all his tests fail..."

Prof: "Well, I'll have nothing to look at when he fails..."

Me: "Miss! He's, like, 21 and you're like....not!"

I love my program. I think my profs are sniffing too much formaldehyde...


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

2 comments:

  1. Haha, you know, I don't really think you care about what I'm going to say but, mmm... I understand you haha :) Labs are awesome. Also, I must confess that today it was the first time I read the text on top of the page and finally got it. I learned about Leeuwenhoek last semester. I think I have nothing left to say, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I care! I read your blog often...I am interested in your journey through school in a program that is (vaguely) similar to mine :) I'm glad you got a chance to take a look at my page and read my little excerpt about Leeuwenhoek :) Good luck with school, Sofia, and don't forget to have fun!

      Delete