Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 7 February 2013

Blood: It's In You For A Reason

Yesterday in my Hematology lab, I wasn't feeling very well, then I got very close to passing out. Although it happens to me a lot in the summer with the heat, I don't know why it happened yesterday! I used to play with blood from my family members when I would steal my little brothers toy microscope, and we dissected a lot of frogs, sunfish and even a mole my father hit with a shovel by an accident once so I don't think I am 'queasy' when it comes to working with blood. When I was 16, I even crashed into a tree when I was dirt biking and the blood was pouring down my leg. But a tree causing me to bleed is natural, so are frogs, fish, and ground-pests (even if it is unnatural to play with them like we did).   

My blood must have saw the other blood and thought it was next so it ran away... away from my brain to the safety of my insides. I don't know.

I feel like you need your blood inside of you to survive. Last year, we had to do POCT fingerstick glucose readings (like the ones that diabetics have to do ever 5 minutes) and my blood ran so far away from my finger that even the professor couldn't milk any blood from it.Then she looked at me and I was clenching my arm so hard with my other hand that she told me I could make it fall off. That was a tiny lancet prick on my finger, imagine the drama of me getting my blood drawn from my arm. I can't imagine that, that is why it has never happened.

I have a solution to my irrational attitude that I will die if someone takes any of my blood. My sister, Jean, who is also paranoid, and I are going to volunteer for Canadian Blood Services this summer. Once I see all the people faint when their life gets drawn from their veins, I will realize that I was just so overreacting and I should go back to the MLA who tried with no success to draw blood on me when I was 5. The goal by the end of the summer is for Jean to donate blood. If she survives, it will allow someone else to survive as well from the donation she made. 

I cant commit to donating blood by then. I will do a fingerstick glucose reading instead.


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment