Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Thursday, 21 March 2013

Armed Robbers Will Never Get Away And I Will Never Win A Coffee

I started making a post last night about how it is Tim Horton's Roll-Up-The-Rim to Please-Pay-Again season again. I was going to plea with whoever reads this blog to mail me some winning rims because I can not seem to win anything. 2 years ago my friends and I were really lucky and won a lot of rims. In stead of keeping them safe to be used during exam time, we kept them until the day after exams and took them to downtown Toronto and handed them out to the 'homeless' beggars so they could get themselves a warm coffee on the chilly 29th of April. There was one guy with a Timmies cup full of beer, there was another loiterer with a big trench coat outside Timmies who we were pretty sure was waiting for a drug deal, and there was another really nice old man who thanked us for the free coffee and free donut we gave him with the biggest smile I have ever seen.

Karma knows these things, people. Now that I have started to collect rims for myself to use during exam time to stay awake when studying, I have only won one rim this season. I did find one on the ground, but I gave that to Nicole, my roommate, who was walking with me because, technically, we both saw it at the same time. Karma knew that and dropped it there to find. I swear it is rubbing it in my face that I am not a nice enough person.

Oh well, like I said. I started writing this post last night with the intentions of finishing it this morning before class. Too bad I was glued to the TV to even think of the computer.

The news told me this very tragic story. The street in which I will be living on starting May witnessed an armed robbery in the early morning hours this morning. The house was said to have been targeted, maybe for being the only student house with food in the fridge, or the other, more reasonable explanation: drugs. Either which way, they were tied up in the basement when some of their friends supposedly walked in on the "robbers" causing them to run away into the forest behind the house I live in now.

Everyone involved was caught and everyone was charged. I really don't see the point in trying to rob something. It never actually works out, and you can never get away. It is even more impossible escaping the police than it is winning a dang coffee at Timmie's... even if your plan is to give it to the homeless in downtown Toronto!


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

No comments:

Post a Comment