· Yellow top tube: goes to microbiology (usually for testing of bacteria in the blood)
· Blue top tube: contains sodium citrate as anticlotting agent
· Red top tube: serum tube (clots blood so Lab can work with the serum)
· Green top tube: contains heparin as an anticlotting agent
· Purple top tube: contains EDTA as anticoagulant and goes to hematology
· Grey top tube: fluoride tube for glucose testing
· How is the test done?
· How accurate is the test?
· Will the test be uncomfortable?
· What do I need to do to prepare for the test?
· Can I drink before the test? What and how long prior?
· Can I smoke before the test?
· Can I eat before the test?
· Can I exercise before the test?
· Where will the test be done?
· What time is best for collection?
· How long does the test take?
· How will I feel during the test?
· Where do I have to go for the sample collection?
· How long will the collection of sample take?
· When will the results be sent to my doctor?