· Ethanol (the stuff that is in alcoholic beverages): When you drink too much, what happens is you get a build-up of acetic acid. The acid can decrease the pH of your body, causing many proteins to become inactive, or denatured, causing damage to organs and organ systems.
· Methanol (the stuff that is in antifreeze): a lot of homeless people will drink this to get admitted to the hospital for free food, warmth and shelter. The effects are less severe than on overdose of ethanol, but can still cause blindness so it must be treated. The reason it is common for homeless people to overdose on it is that it is super cheap at Canadian Tire or Walmart. Quick trip into the warmth of a hospital in the dead of the Canadian winter.
· Isopropanol (the stuff that is in rubbing alcohol): This is twice as severe as ethanol poisoning and by-products are rapidly formed including acetone. This is very toxic, so I would not recommend ingesting. Also, I saw on 1000 Ways to Die that someone bathed in it. Don't do that either, because you will die.
· Opiates (morphine, codeine, heroine): These drugs typically used for pain management are highly addictive. The urine test that is done in the lab detects false positives if the patient has eaten a poppy seed bagel. Experienced drug users will walk in to give their urine sample eating a poppy seed muffin. In which case, we cannot test their urine to see if they are staying “clean” while on parole.
· Acetaminophen (Tylenol): If you overdose on Tylenol, the antidote, or cure, could be more toxic to your cells than the actual drug. Health care professionals have to decide if it is worth giving the antidote on a case-by-case basis. A build-up of the by-products leads to protein inactivation and liver failure and death.
Darn good and sure of it,