Leeuwenhoek had stolen and peeped into the fantastic sub-visible world of little things, creatures that had lived, had bred, had battled, had died, completely hidden from and unknown to all men from the beginning of time. Beasts these were of a kind that ravaged and annihilated whole races of men ten million times larger than they were themselves. Beings these were, more terrible than fire-spitting dragons or hydra-headed monsters. They were silent assassins that murdered babies in warm cradles and kings in sheltered places. It was this invisible, insignificant, but implacable-and sometimes friendly- world Leeuwenhoek had looked into for the first time of all men of all countries. ~Microbe Hunters

Monday, 27 May 2013

Summer School

I am taking an online Analytical Chemistry course through a University in Utah, called Weber State University. If you didn't know, Utah is in the USA. I am in Canada. Google maps tells me that we are 3374 km and a border crossing apart, but yet, for some reason it is the closest school that offers the course outside of being enrolled in a school's Medical Laboratory Science program. 

Some things I have learned from this course so far:

-Americans do not call Canada "the Provinces", so I should not call the Unites States of America "the States".
-My professor uses examples of measuring blood levels using "Twinkies" thus, I stereotype Americans to eat too many Twinkies that it is detectable in their blood.
-The USA still uses the standard measuring system and I have done 3 years of University (and 21 years of my life) to perfect the metric system, and therefore, the USA needs to change to the Metric system because I need them to. Before the end of the summer.
-My public library ID'd me for a library card because you have to be over 18 to get a library card without your parents permission, and the librarian didn't believe me that I was 21. (That was a very tragic day.) 
-My public library doesn't like that Utah is making me write 6 proctored tests that they have to staff for me. 
-Wikipedia still hasn't taught me how marking works in the USA. 

Anyways, I am really happy with how the A to Z Challenge went. I couldn't really publish many  posts the last few days because of work and the fact that I moved back home with my parents and they do not permit me to sit on my computer for 20 hours a day. Or even 2 minutes to press "Publish" on my pre-written posts. For that, I apologize. I will try and post some interesting things throughout the summer, but my summer job is cleaning toilets and picking litter at the next city's downtown. That uses no brain power, so I feel like I am getting dumb. Perhaps I will have a revelation in the next week or so!


Darn good and sure of it,

adot

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, the US needs to go metric, however, I don't think it'll happen in your time frame.
    I'm wondering how your professor uses "Twinkies" as an example. Twinkies are no longer made here. The company went out of business. I heard that they might have been bought out of bankruptcy, hopefully, they will make them again.

    ReplyDelete